I know I have mentioned this a zillion times but I’m freakin over the moon that I can get lean ground turkey now from Ocado (a home delivery grocery service for my non UK readers). It has made my life so much easier and my food choices more varied. My MIL is still in town and this week has been crazy busy (see yesterdays post) so I wanted to de-stress by creating a new recipe yesterday. I combined all the flavors I love and it came out ridiculously delicious. The hubby was a bit sad it wasn’t beef but once he tried it, he even had seconds! You could easily make this in a normal sized lasagna pan but I couldn’t find mine so my 8×8 pyrex worked just fine and I also made this in the morning and then it sat in the fridge till dinner but you could easily have just cooked it straight away.
Tip #1 – Amp up store bought tomato sauce with roasting tomatoes in your oven. It is easy and really quick and the flavor boost you get is outta this world.
Tip #2 – Crank up the flavor by adding a bit of white wine to the leeks when sauté them. It turns the leeks from yum to wowsers, trust me.
Only three pieces were leftover and since we are off on a very English adventure this weekend (stay tuned), I popped them in a tupperware and threw them in the freezer. #doneanddusted
- 1 pound lean ground turkey
- 10 oz can of tomato sauce
- 3 medium leeks, washed and sliced
- ⅛ cup of white wine
- 1 pound of roma or large cherry tomatoes, quartered
- ⅚ oz bag of washed baby spinach, wilted in microwave
- 1 small pkg of mushrooms, cleaned and sliced
- 4 oz ricotta (or cottage cheese)
- 300 gram mozzarella, shredded
- Handful of fresh basil, torn into bits
- 1 box of lasagna sheets
- pinch of oregano
- couple dashes of onion powder and garlic powder
- ⅛ tsp red pepper flakes
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat oven to 350F and arrange tomatoes in a pan, drizzle with EVOO and put in oven till they start getting mushy (about 10-15 minutes) then remove.
- Place roasted tomatoes in sauce pan, add jar of tomato sauce, spices, basil and mushrooms and keep heat on low with a lid, stirring occasionally.
- Heat frying pan on stovetop and add a bit of EVOO then the sliced leeks and sautee till they start becoming see through.
- Add wine and once wine has gone from pan, add turkey and start browning the meat.
- Once turkey is cooked, add ¾ of the tomato sauce to the turkey pan and the wilted spinach and stir, turn off heat.
- Grab a 8 x 8 pan, wipe a little EVOO inside to prevent sticking and start with a layer of the tomato sauce first. Next add the pasta sheets, some ricotta, turkey and mozzarella.
- Repeat process but finish with a layer of sauce and cheese and cook covered at 325F for about 40 minutes, then remove foil and let cheese brown up for about 5-10 minutes.
- Let stand at least 5-10 minutes before cutting into it and enjoy!