I don’t think I’ve ever mixed fresh berries with rice or quinoa before…
So, when I spotted this recipe in my Vegetarian Times, I knew I would have to try it.
Plus it had curry and mint in it, two ingredients that I don’t use that much.
It also required coconut oil, which Ive heard a ton about but have never tried it myself.
(i know, I know, I really late to the party…)
This is one of my favorite magazines and it has never let me down with a recipe, so I tried it yesterday.
The recipe is easy to follow and jammed packed with flavor.
It was a tad bit on the sweet side for me but the hubby loved it!
- 1 Tbsp. plus 1 tsp. coconut oil, divided
- 1 cup quinoa, rinsed and drained
- 1½ Tbsp. curry powder
- 1 pinch salt, optional
- 1 small shallot, finely chopped
- 1 cup fresh snap peas
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- ½ cup plain non-fat Greek yogurt
- ⅛ cup chopped fresh mint
- ⅛ cup chopped salted cashews
- Melt 1 Tbsp. coconut oil in large saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Add quinoa and curry powder. Sauté 1 to 2 minutes, or until lightly toasted and fragrant.
- Add 2 cups water and salt and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer 12 minutes without stirring, or until quinoa is cooked through and water is absorbed. Remove from heat, and keep covered.
- Melt remaining 1 tsp. coconut oil in medium skillet over medium heat.
- Add shallot, and sauté 2 minutes, or until translucent.
- Stir in snap peas, and sauté 5 minutes.
- Add blueberries, and cook 30 seconds, or until warmed through.
- Combine blueberry mixture and quinoa in large bowl.
- Serve dolloped with yogurt and sprinkled with mint and cashews.