I spent this morning cleaning out my several piles of stuff and found a hodgepodge of cool tips!
I eat a lot of lettuce, so this tips is one I use daily!
Lettuce is one of those things that doesn’t usually last too long.
It wilts or it rots and gets slimy. yuck.
The main reason lettuce spoils so quickly is due to excessive moisture.
More moisture means more gases, like ethylene, which speed up ripening and spoilage in fruits and veggies.
Rinse lettuce and shake off excessive moisture.
Wrap in paper towels in bunches, layer upon layer and place in a zip-loc bag.
This process will absorb moisture without dehydrating the leaves.
How to Choose a Mango
Look for an unblemished mango with a skin that yields gentle pressure from your thumb.
Check for a fruity aroma at the stem end too.
Ignore color – they can vary from green to red blush to yellow orange.
If you need some help cutting this pesky fruit click here.
A New Twist on Guacamole
I don’t have a picture of this but it was fantastic!
- 2 Haas avocados
- 1⁄2 tsp fresh lime juice
- 1⁄2 shallot, diced
- 1⁄2 mango, peeled and diced
- 1⁄2 yellow peach, peeled and diced
- 1⁄2 Granny Smith apple, peeled and diced
- 1⁄4 habanero pepper, seeds removed, minced
- 1 tsp sliced basil
- Using a small knife, cut each avocado in half and remove the pit.
- Cut the flesh of each avocado lengthwise 4 times, then crosswise 4 times to form small cubes.
- Scoop cubes into a medium mixing bowl and mash with a fork until chunky.
- Stir in the next 7 ingredients and season with salt.
- Serve immediately with warm corn tortillas or chips.