I have sung the praises of quinoa over and over again.
Stop waiting to try it folks - it’s basically a superfood – ditch the rice and start eating quinoa.
I promise you will LOVE it!
Tuesday, we were invited to a friends house for the holiday, so I wanted to make a new recipe.
I had stumbled upon a bunch of fresh cilantro on Monday and was pretty excited.
I thought I would try to create a Mexican Quinoa recipe.
(side note – Trinis use shadow beni, a plant like cilantro, but lnot as strong , in my opinion)
This will be going into our regular rotation – it’s good, really good!
The basic recipe is below, but you could easily add chicken, avocados, jalapenos, etc…
Plus, it tasted just as good at room temperature, as it did heated up.
- 1½ cups cooked quinoa
- 1½ cups black beans
- 1 cup corn, thawed
- 1 medium zucchini, diced and sauteed
- ½ can of diced tomatoes
- 1 small can of green chilies
- ¼ cup lime juice
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon agave nectar
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- ½ cup cheddar cheese
- Toast quinoa in dry skillet of a minute or two.
- Heat saucepan with 1 Tbsp olive oil and ½ can of tomatoes.
- After a couple minutes, add quinoa and chicken broth - bring to a boil, then simmer with lid on for about 20 minutes. Quinoa should be soft and center should be clear with a white ring around each grain.
- While quinoa is cooking cut zucchini into bite size pieces and saute with a bit of olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl, combine cooked quinoa, black beans, corn, sauteed zucchini and chilies.
- Meanwhile, in a blender or food processor, combine lime juice, garlic, cayenne pepper, cilantro, olive oil, agave nectar, cumin and sea salt.
- Process until mixture is smooth.
- Toss with quinoa mixture.
- Top with cheese.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes.
- Top with fresh cilantro and serve hot or room temperature.
Any exciting plans for this evening?
We are heading to fun event to celebrate the release of Le Beaujolais Nouveau !
YUM French Wine with Friends – Perfect Evening!