I have to be 100% honest, since the Twilight series and before that H.P., I really never made time to read. Well I probably had time to read but my ADHD got in the way. I find it extremely hard to sit still long enough to start a book and even if I do, something distracts me. But last year when training for my ultra, I started to run out of podcasts to listen to and music started to get boring. I needed something else to fill my 60 mile training weeks.
So I turned to audiobooks on iTunes. I’m new to this whole reading thing but what I did was go to the bookstore at the train station/airport and read as many covers as I could…then I’d take a picture or write them down. Then, I’d do a little research online…to be fair, read the reviews with a pinch of salt. If you read enough of reviews, you’ll most likely be turned off. Now I read only the into...then I plunge in.
The perk of audiobooks is that when you run and listen, you don’t know when the chapter ends or the book for that matter. So I usually play a game with myself, convincing myself to push further for one more chapter. And when the book gets good, you add miles because you want to know what happens next!
I love listening to my audiobooks with my new Aftershockz Headphones. They rest outside of your ear, using bone-conducting technology, meaning they are safe. You can listen and hear what’s going on outside – cars, dogs, bikes, etc… They’re also Bluetooth enabled.
My Top 6 Picks to Keep You Running All Winter
Note: Some/All of these books deal with adult themes of sex/violence/murder/etc…
1. Behind Closed Doors – This book blew my socks off – so, so, so good! It grabs you from the very beginning and never lets go… #MUSTREAD
3. The Good Daughter – This one starts out intense (warning) but you’ll never guess how it ends, I promise.
4. Pretty Girls – Reading this now and every chapter is blowing my mind! #MUSTREAD
5. Roanoke Girls – This book has the craziest theme, most of the time I felt a bit sick listening to it but its good so I couldn’t stop either. Not sure if it makes sense but it kept me company for at least 60+ mies.
6. Stillhouse Lake – This has you in a crazy “who done it” from the very beginning!
7. Into the Water – This one is a bit slow to start but once it gets going, it’s impossible to put down and figure out. The end is crazy!!
I really didn’t want to give you any clues to the books but I will say they are all real life type mysteries. A bit of drama mixed with some suspense and a whole bunch of mystery…the perfect combo to keep my mind entertained and my legs inspired.